Nine people were charged with crimes last week following a burglary and shooting Thursday, Nov. 29 in a neighborhood south of Whitefish. At about 8 a.m. the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to a report of a burglary in progress and that someone had fired a gun before fleeing the scene, according to a release. Several suspects were eventually arrested on KM Ranch Road and Spring Prairie Road.
When sheriff’s deputies and an officer with the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks arrived at the scene, they witnessed a vehicle fleeing and pursued it. The vehicle led law enforcement officers onto a service road off KM Ranch Road where it finally stopped and one occupant attempted to flee.
No one was injured in the incident.
Those involved were detained and interviewed by Flathead County detectives.
Jaymes Leduc, 28, was arrested and charged with felony criminal endangerment, possession of dangerous drugs and three counts of misdemeanor criminal contempt. He is being held in the Flathead County Detention Center.
According to court records, a woman called 911 to report an attempted burglary at a residence on Mallard Loop in Whitefish. She said the burglary was unsuccessful and she pursued a man later identified as Leduc in a vehicle. She said she saw him fire a round from a gun he carried.
When a deputy from the Sheriff’s Office responded to the area, he located Leduc on KM Ranch Road and saw a handgun in his possession. The suspect dropped the gun when the deputy ordered him to, and he was arrested.
During a search of Leduc, the deputy allegedly found a white, crystalline substance that Leduc later admitted was methamphetamine, according to documents. When a detective questioned Leduc, he allegedly admitted to firing his gun and that he had injected himself with meth.
During interviews and field work, detectives and patrol deputies located several individuals who had active warrants and pending investigations related to open cases throughout Flathead County, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Those who have been charged:
• Joshua Menning, 36, is charged with parole violation, careless driving and no insurance.
• Alyssa Matthews, 29, is charged with three counts of misdemeanor criminal contempt.
• Luke Hanson, 35, is charged with a probation violation.
• Victoria Wellem, 33, is charged with three counts of misdemeanor criminal contempt.
• Jerry Saunders, 29, is charged with a probation violation.
• Thara Rasnic, 35, is charged with bail jumping and two counts of possession of dangerous drugs.
• Richard Syth, 59, is charged with misdemeanor criminal contempt and two counts of misdemeanor theft.
• Chase Haynes, 36, is charged with two counts of misdemeanor criminal contempt and forgery.
The Daily Inter Lake contributed to this story.